Final Fantasy X HD Remaster Review (MAJOR SPOILER)

6 G9Comics


Finally Home!

After a long business trip, I finally sit in front of my PC again.

How are you guys?

While I was on the trip, my only entertainment was my Ipod plus PS Vita that I played everyday once I arrived at the hotel room.
The only game I played was, FFX-HD remaster.

Anyone play it?

Wow, all the memories as my first PS2 game come back at once.
And now, it looks more beautiful, not significantly, but better for sure.
No more jaggies on my PSVita, and it seems the HD remaster was the international release edition one.

But, there's a different playing experience between now, and about 12 years ago.
It's how I look at the story.
Now, as I become old and older, I just realized how sad and yet beautiful the story is.
No, not on the love story side.
It's more on the theme of the whole story.

It's more like a satyr story about us. Yes, about us.

How people in Spira was divided into groups, racism (how they saw Al Bhed peoples, Ronso or even Guado). How the game portrait Yevon's believer really make me smile, since it's really happened here, where I live.
They blame every disaster as a punishment of peoples sin. (it's funny how they call it "Sin" in the game ^_^)
at the same time they tried to battle the disaster itself.
But they are pretty stubborn to see other people using their own way/faith to see and battle Sin (See how Wakka see Al-Bhed?). It's quite deep story indeed.

And finally I saw the notorious laughing scene... again.
But, rather than see it as something silly, I just realized something.

How Yuna and Tidus laugh so hard to cover their sadness is something touchy.
That's what I do everyday to cover my sadness too.
Of course I'm not laughing out loud like them, sometime I usually just smile even when I feel so sad, in order to make someone else smile. Ironic, isn't it.

In short, FFX is such a beautiful game, even if the gameplay is not everyone's favorite, but for me, it's acceptable.
It still has Final Fantasy's feeling/soul in it.

The Eternal Calm was good too, it's a sequence between FFX to FFX-2. Now you'll know why Yuna changed so drastically (even it's still silly >_<), but it's quite fun to watch.

It would be a great remade, until...

I listened to the bonus Audio Drama. It took place AFTER FFX-2 end. After the "finally happy ending" sequence in FFX-2. And this drama really disturbs me.

If you guys a fan of FFX story, you must know that, the writer of FFX Kazushige Nojima release a novel before FFX/X-2 Remaster was released in Japan. It was called FFX 2.5 Eien no Dashou (永遠の代償)

At it was notoriously bad... really bad.
Lots of fans were very angry, and in the end SquareEnix said that the novel was a Gaiden/spinoff.
If you want to know what made fans really angry, the synopsis is more like a netorare/hentai/doujinshi parody of FFX story.
In short:
Tidus and Yuna on honeymoon, their plane was crashed, and the two are stranded in an island. Romantic isn't it?
And Yuna wear a one piece swimsuit in front of Tidus, and suddenly a monster appear.
Tidus said he couldn't concentrate because Yuna was too sexy (>_<)
After a while Yuna get angry to Tidus, the reason is... because "he can't do it anymore" (yes you guess it yourself)
Tidus got frustrated and went to the beach where he saw a blitzbal!

And he kick the ball hard, when he realized the ball was a bomb!
BAM! Tidus got blown up, his head was flying high and finally landed on Yuna's hand. She passed out (of course >_<)
Tidus was dead.

Yuna so sad, so she find a way to revive Tidus, and finally she met a priest that say there's a way to revive him.
And the only way is by... having sex with Tidus dead body.

It's not a hentai/doujinshi or April Mop, and Tidus was revived...

The book ends with a  "to be continued..."


As we know, lots of fans were angry because of this silly book.
And then... the audio drama took place... after the novel... so basically the novel was not a gaiden...

Crazy isn't it?

The drama tells us that Yuna now (implicit) falling in love with other guy (maybe a 14 years old boy, I'm not kiddin' just listen carefully). And she want to break up with Tidus.
(Because this Tidus is not the real Tidus anyway, it was more like an Aeon/Fayth. Just like Seymour, so he has different personality)

It tells the story on Auron's daughter.
Yup he has a daughter. (after I replayed FFX, I just now that He was in relationship with a priest daughter, so maybe she is her true daughter)

And the story end with the unstable farplane because Yuna's Tidus revival. Sin is coming back, every dead peole coming back to Spira.


So, if Square can messed up the story, why shouldn't I ? Maybe I'll do my own version of the story, haha...













Post a Comment

6 Comments
* Please Don't Spam Here. All the Comments are Reviewed by Admin.
  1. Glad that you're back !
    I'd enjoy a netorare/corruption story set in the FFX universe done by you.
    Especially since that's what most people want to see in corruption stories: the beautiful heroine taken by a villain to be his girlfriend !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the commenter above. Not very subtle but to the point ^^

    Also G9,mpgrey I just thought about a little something that has bothered me since some time.
    I think that everyone agree to say that what we like in the corruption is the to see the moral change of the heroine and her transformation but I don't think it means she necessarily needs to have a reason to fall (that's my only problem with SR0 = the whole "I think my boyfriend cheated on me" can be good but this time it felt forced). There can be a reason, but sometimes the villain is just too good that the heroine has no other choice but to fall. It's important that we see her fall, see her expression changes, see her appreciate more and more the transformation and the sex in spite of herself . And that's what's great: the moral conflict we see the heroine face (which is why hypnosis is no good because basically the heroine isn't herself and doesn't show emotion) combined with the sex scene when the villain change her. Also it's cool to see how the heroine acts after the corruption (is she the same ? what has changed ? Me I like when they still show they're the same person just more luscious and on the other side).
    Okay that's all I had to say. Have a nice day ! (Really waiting to know more about SR0 or this FFX comic).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your two cents, mr mayor!

      The funny thing is that I honestly believe SR0 covers precisely what you're describing.
      From the moment Megan had her first contact with the parasite (when she saved dr. White in the subway tunnels), the parasite has always been in control of the situation. To me, Megan's resisting had more to do with delaying the inevitable than turning the situation around: "The heroine has no other choice but to fall" as you call it. But instead of a quick instant corruption like it (or he?) did with Lin, Megan is just being toyed with.
      Might sound funny because I'm the writer, but when I read the story I always have the feeling that the parasite is holding back, that he could force his will on Megan much more easily, but just chooses to let Megan fall bit by bit.
      Therefore I don't agree that Megan's reason to fall was the (fake) discovery that her boyfriend was cheating on her, but instead it was the final push. And not even the final push towards corruption but the final push to make her let her guard down so much that she was completely vulnerable.
      The bottom right picture on page 208 illustrates this best: why should she be the only one missing out on this? I consider this the moral conflict you mention. She has been fighting this "hallucination" all this time, but in her weakened mental state, she allows the parasite to give her some pleasure. Partly knowing and realizing that it's a stupid move but being tired of fighting and resisting enough to let it happen anyway.

      So long story short: I honestly think SR0 contains exactly what you describe you want to see. At least that is how I see it. Of course it's possible that it didn't feel that way to you (or anyone else). So please do tell us if you interpreted certain scenes differently.
      There is plenty of time to discuss the old comic because it'll be a while before the new one is ready! >_<

      Delete
  3. speaking of SR0 I don't suppose you can give any of us an estimate until its released. If you can't give us a rough estimate then please for the love of all things holy PLEASE don't make it more than two or three months.

    Also would it be possible for you to show some more pics of the elf forest on your next update?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the love of all things holy I can assure you that it'll take longer than 3 months.
      I don't like to crush your bubble but there is also no use letting you have false expectations.

      Delete
    2. It'll take more than 3 moths, I'm sorry.
      But I'll try to release something else (short) in a meanwhile.

      Okay, I'll try to render some pic of the elf forest soon.



      Delete

G9MPComics — Adult Tokusatsu & Super Heroine Comic parodies so spicy they make the final boss blush. Same epic fights. Way better costumes (mostly on the floor).